13 May 2013

A Noisy Thanks


So far this spring, in my ‘hood, I’ve seen:
Intrepid black crows cawing and mean,
Lazy red-tailed hawks soaring to maul,
Energetic woodpeckers dominating all,
Nascent black phoebes in their nest of three,
Tiny Anna’s hummingbirds swooping with glee;

Scrub jays behaving as if they’re king,
Pairs of mourning doves each pitying,
Robins, red-breasted, digging my grubs,
Ignoble house sparrows filling the shrubs,
Northern mockingbirds acting like barons,
Gopher-stalking great blue herons;

Rufus hummingbird being a missile,
A charm of gold finches eating our thistle,
California towhees gleaning the heather,
House finches in their varied red feathers,
Elusive bluebirds delivering peace,
Large band-tailed pigeons looking obese;

Citrine hooded orioles, exotic!
A pair of quail, almost quixotic,
Radiant and showy black-headed grosbeak,
Set of mallards away from their creek,
Oak titmice with their Mohawks frenetic,
Nuthatch, white breasted, looking ascetic.




7 comments:

  1. You must have to wash your car a lot. How do you find time to write poetry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rich, thanks...I have lots of time because I never wash our cars! And, you are absolutely right - the birds enjoy the hood of our cars immensely.

      Delete
  2. ...And an acrostic too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huh. Silent? probably not. spring, yes.
    Do you remember how I quoted that in one of my "old" writings in Matthew Pallamary's workshop and one of the critique was that I didn't need to qualify Silent Spring with Rachel Carson. Was that you?! I think it was by jove!!!
    nelia j.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your use of "charm of finches." I like that plural.

    I'm confused, though.. you almost seem upset that the robins have been stealing your grubs. Isn't this a good thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nick - If you like "charm," you should also like the use of "pitying" with the doves.

      And, yes, you are accurate about the "grubs". The original draft used "worms" because, being from Illinois and liking to fish, worms are valued. However, also as you know, "worms" does not rhyme with "shrubs." I therefore invoked my Poetic License ... and grubs it twas. However, I have now changed 'stealing' to 'digging.'

      Delete
  5. What a nice tribute to a great book! I imagined myself watching these great creatures unfettered by human intervention. Very very nice!

    ReplyDelete